Social Media Buttons

Monday, November 30, 2009

Three Cheers for Tea Tree and Coconut Oils!

Can I just say how much I love the combination of coconut oil and tea tree oils?

My foray into oils began months and months ago. I have collected a number of them. I simmer them, use them in home made cleansers, and place drops of thyme onto my kitchen sponge when it gets rank. (This happens regularly as I have children who do not care to rinse the sponge out after each use. A few drops of thyme squished through the sponge takes care of it and it smells nicely for some time and saves my sponge from agents such as bleach which destroy it.)

Anyways- back to topic. :)

I had heard of the benefits of tea tree oil for some time. I bought some- liked the fragrance and added it to my bathroom cleanser. I also add it to eucalyptus oil and simmer when colds are going around the family. With 5 children, that's pretty often.

I first used tea tree oil and coconut oil together for personal care when I made homemade deodorant. The stuff really works! I began to use what was left on my fingers after application on my face as a moisturizer after rinsing the baking soda off my fingertips. I noticed it helped my skin to remain clear. (I had read over time that coconut oil has anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties as well as antimicrobial lipids that may benefit whose who ingest it.) I don't have much of a blemish issue in general, but it still helped. I'm testing it further by applying daily to my 16yo's face as he could use the help. Xango helps tremendously, but the oil mixture is a bit less expensive and travels much more easily with no need for refrigeration.

I then recalled that tea tree oil can be used on diaper rashes. So I mixed a few drops with several TBSP of coconut oil and use as needed on the cute little hiney we have running around here. It works very well (and fast!) and takes a very light coat- no gunky white paste that is hard to wash off. I do struggle with dry skin on my fingertips that then grabs the cloth diaper microfiber insert- so it addresses two issues at once. I like that!

I decided if the mix was good for moisturizing my face- why not my legs as they often need lotion? I had been in the habit of applying rubbing alcohol after shaving to soothe irritation. I did not like using alcohol but had yet to discover anything else that would stop the irritation. Tea tree and coconut worked. I think the alcohol worked more immediately, but I'd rather be more natural if I can. I now also use it on my heels and elbows for moisturizing purposes.

What I like about coconut oil is that I can buy it at Kroger, it's not very expensive, and has no greasy residue. It's my first foray into a carrier oil (pertaining to why I initially bought it). Other oils might have the same benefits, but I live in a small market and cannot just run pick up other oils to try.

I can also use the coconut oil in cooking. I have found that if I use coconut oil rather than just plain vegetable oil in the "Playgroup Granola Bars" from allrecipes.com I do not get heartburn. (You wanted to know that, didn't you?~smile~) My results are not 100% conclusive, but I think I'm onto something.

Here's the recipe for the deodorant I mentioned (Thanks, Donna!). I do not recall where it originated from:

Homemade Deodorant

5-6 TBSP of Coconut Oil
1/4 C of Baking Soda
1/4 C Corn Starch
approx 4 drops of essential oil (I use Tea Tree due to it's properties and I like it's fragrance.)

Coconut oil firms up below 76 degrees. I have found what works best for me is storing it in an empty "Garnier Fructis Fiber Gum Putty" hair product container. The container holds a batch perfectly and makes it easy to reach. The coconut oil melts immediately upon contact with skin. When it's liquified in the summer months it does require stirring and at times it needs more coconut oil added to maintain consistency and not be overly gritty. I used a baby bottle in the summer with just the ring on it and cap. I'd remove the cap, place my fingers over the opening, shake and apply.

This is not an antiperspirant, but I'm ok with that. I figure our bodies were designed to perspire for a reason. (If at any time I feel the need for an anti-perspirant I grab my store bought stick.) I have found that it will work for at least 2 days if not washed off even with exercising. Some people have found it leaves a white residue on their black clothes. Since I rarely wear black tops I have had no such issue.

1 comment:

  1. No one is commenting very much on your blog, but I'm sure others are really enjoying it just like I am. Thanks for the deodorant recipe. Think I'll try that once I get some coconut oil.

    I am also pondering what you wrote about the battle for our hearts. Good stuff here.

    ReplyDelete